Saturday, October 12, 2013

Dewey's 24 Hour Read-a-Thon - Hour 1 and 12

Update Hour 12


I honestly thought I'd post and check Twitter more than I did. But I didn't BECAUSE I WAS READING! I'm engrossed. I thought I would get antsy and put on a movie by 8pm but I don't want to. I know I won't last until 8am but I'm going to try! (I'll probably make it until 1 am if I'm lucky but whatevs.)

References in my books that have encouraged further reading, culture, growth, and other cool stuff.

My first book referenced:


- Valerie Solanos which has made me want to finally watch I Shot Andy Warhol

- my alma mater, the School of Visual Arts in NYC. These references always make me feel a little famous or important or something.

- the film Vivre Sa Vie by Godard which makes me want to check it out and get back into more challenging films. Fancy!

My second book made me:

- look up the word obfuscating which just means to make obscure or confuse. Which I got from the context but I've never heard it and I've probably never read before either. I'm a teeny bit smarter!

- call my mom! It's so heavy on the mother/daughter stuff it made me call her and make a date to hang out tomorrow.  Aw.

Also:

- the mini challenge on black out poetry, although I didn't try it today, makes me want to try it soon. It seems really satisfying - whittling away words instead of trying to find them.

- I made this bitchin' bread recipe. It was a snack and turned into a grilled cheese sandwich for dinner. So good. (Plus reading the recipe totally counts!)

Still on my second book.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Introductory Questionnaire

1) What fine part of the world are you reading from today?

Upstate New York. Specifically I'm laying in the bed in a big ol' sun beam with my cats!

2) Which book in your stack are you most looking forward to?

This is a hard one...but I think Monuments Men. I've been meaning to read it for a long long time. Today's the day!

3) Which snack are you most looking forward to?

Beverages, ice coffee now, seltzer later then tea, maybe cocoa. I'm also contemplating buying some wine on my walk later to enjoy during my evening reading. ; )

4) Tell us a little something about yourself!

My book stack says a lot about me. I love art and a good story.

5) If you participated in the last read-a-thon, what’s one thing you’ll do different today? If this is your first read-a-thon, what are you most looking forward to?

This is my first read-a-thon. I'm looking forward to reading/discover other people's book blog and finding some good recommendations. I'm also excited about being part of that community.

Now, back to reading! I'm really loving Gabrielle Bell's The Voyeurs. I'm reserving her other books form the library right now.

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a comfy place to be reading! I too am looking forward to a variety of beverages, like hot apple cider and tea! :) Wine sounds lovely as well. I'll be here cheering you on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hope you're having a great read-a-thon so far! Go #TeamTiger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Welcome to the read-a-thon! This is my third one but the first where I am tryingto do some cheering too. I love to see what everyone is reading.

    "How we spend our days is, of course, how we spend our lives." (Annie Dillard)
    So let's spend today reading :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Welcome to Dewey's, it's a readathon like no other! This is my second time & I love cheering everyone on. You should try it for a bit next time. GO #TeamTiger
    There are over 400 participants so I'm sure you'll come across someone with the same book interests!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I meant to post & tweet a lot more this afternoon, but I was too into my book, too. Hooray for engrossing books! But now that book is over and the antsy-ness has hit me :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't blame you. The sleepiness has hit me...but I'm not down yet!

      Delete
  6. I'm hoping to make it to 8am too :)
    "Little by little does the trick." (Aesop)
    Or maybe we should say 'hour by hour' :)
    Team Tiger

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hope you're still hanging in there with the read-a-thon! Go #TeamTiger!

    ReplyDelete